Create a Strong, Seamless Join Between Multiple Rolls of Artificial Turf
Used in conjunction with our artificial grass joining tape, EnviroStik Multi-Purpose Adhesive is ideal for securing two pieces of artificial grass together to create a strong, seamless join.
The joining tape is placed between two pieces of artificial turf, sufficient adhesive is applied, and then each piece is carefully positioned onto the tape and left to cure.
Multi-Purpose Adhesive is also the ideal solution for bonding foam underlay to a variety of substrates, such as concrete or paving, as well as bonding artificial turf to the underlay material.
- Formulated to form a high bond strength.
- Easy to use.
- Produces a strong, seamless join.
- Perfect for bonding foam underlay to a variety of substrates, such as concrete.
- Cost-effective for joins over 4m in length.
- Fast cure time.
- Versatile over 5°C–30°
- Tolerates use in damp weather conditions.
- Solvent-free non-flammable adhesive.
- Structured, non-slumping consistency.
- Available in 5kg and 10kg tubs.
How do I create a join?
To create a join, you’ll need joining tape and adhesive. Here is how to join two sections of artificial grass:
- Unroll both sections of artificial grass and ensure that the pile is facing in the same direction on each piece.
- Fold over the edge of each section to be joined.
- Carefully cut 3 rows of stitching from the back of both sections of artificial turf.
- Fold back over and align both pieces of turf, ensuring that they are not overlapping. Ideally, you’ll want to aim for an even 1mm gap between the rolls of turf, along the length of the join.
- Once satisfied with the join, fold back approximately 200mm from the edge of both sections of turf.
- Unroll the joining tape between the two rolls of turf, ensuring that the centre of the tape is positioned where the two sections of grass will meet.
- Apply an even coverage of adhesive to the joining tape, keeping 25mm from the edges.
- Starting at one end, carefully work your way down the length of the join, folding over both pieces of turf as you go. It’s very important to avoid getting any adhesive on the synthetic fibres (wipe off with a clean cloth immediately, should this happen).
- Add some heavy objects along the length of the join for 2–3 hours, to ensure proper bonding between the tape and the backing of the turf. You could use bricks, scaffold boards or, conveniently, the bags of silica sand infill that will need to be applied to your artificial lawn as the final installation step.
How do I mix the two parts together?
The two components are mixed within the bigger tub, which contains the polyurethane.
Firstly, break the seals on both containers, then pour the entire contents of the hardener into the tub of polyurethane.
To achieve a full bond, the mixing ratio needs to be 10:1, so always use the entire amount of hardener supplied.
Then, using a mechanical paddle mixer, thoroughly mix both parts together. It is possible to mix the adhesive using a trowel, but that both takes longer and is more work – and you must ensure that both parts are sufficiently mixed.
Poorly mixed adhesive does not cure correctly and remains soft. It is, therefore, essential that the mixing of the two components is complete – you should take particular care to incorporate the polyurethane around the sides and at the bottom of the tub.
How do I apply it to the joining tape?
The mixed adhesive is poured from the tub directly on to either the joining tape or the substrate.
The adhesive is then spread using a flooring trowel, to provide an even coverage of glue to the joining tape or substrate, keeping 25mm from the edge of the tape.
How long is it workable for?
The amount of workable time you get with two-part adhesive depends upon the climatic conditions. The table below shows approximate timings, based upon average humidity. The higher the humidity, the quicker it will harden:
How long does it take to fully cure?
The warmer the temperature and the higher the humidity, the quicker it will cure. The table below shows approximate timings, based upon average humidity. Please note, you should not use the adhesive if there is a risk of ground frost before completion of setting time:
What is the coverage rate of 5kg and 10kg tubs?
Coverage depends entirely upon the thickness of adhesive applied to an existing surface or joining tape.
As a general guide, one mixed 5kg tub will cover approximately 2m2, with 10kg tubs covering 4m2.
When applying to joining tape, you’ll be able to cover around 10–12m of tape, at a thickness of 2mm. A 10kg tub will cover around 20–24m of tape.
You can use the calculator below to estimate how much adhesive you are likely to need to secure the joins of your artificial lawn.
When should I use it?
Two-part adhesives have several uses.
The main use is to join two pieces of artificial grass together, using joining tape, to form an invisible, secure join.
It can, however, also be used to install artificial grass to existing substrates and surfaces, such as concrete, paving slabs, block paving or decking.
Another popular use is to fix artificial grass to either a 10mm or 20mm foam underlay, to provide a soft, bouncy cushion which can help protect against injuries from trips or falls.
Two-part adhesive is ideal for fixing foam underlays to existing surfaces, too.
We advise that you test that the product will adhere to a particular surface using a small sample of artificial turf, before proceeding with your installation. For further information and advice on which substrates Multi-Purpose Adhesive can be used with, please contact EnviroStik.
What temperature can I use it in?
Two-part Multi-Purpose Adhesive can be used in temperatures ranging from 5°C to 30°C.
Can I use it in damp or wet conditions?
Yes, Multi-Purpose Adhesive can tolerate damp conditions, but any surface water should be removed. Do not use in wet conditions.
What is it made from?
As the name suggests, two-part adhesive is supplied in the form of two separate components. The first part is polyurethane, typically supplied within either a 5kg or 10kg tub. The second is a separately packaged hardener, made from a 100% liquid isocyanate. It’s supplied in 0.5kg bottles for 5kg tubs and 1kg bottles for 10kg tubs.
What safety measures should I take when using the adhesive?
Prior to using two-part adhesive, please read all of the information on the side of the tub, paying particular attention to the health and safety advice.
Two-part adhesive can potentially cause harm if it is not used correctly.
Multi-Purpose Adhesive contains silica, which is harmful by inhalation and can course serious damage to health as a result of prolonged exposure. We strongly recommend that you wear a dust mask or respirator whilst using the product, and ensure the area is well-ventilated.
Two-part adhesive can also be irritating to eyes, the respiratory system and skin.
To prevent contact with skin whilst using this product, ensure that you wear suitable protective clothing and gloves at all times.
For further health and safety information, please read carefully the datasheet supplied by EnviroStik, here.
Will my dog be able to pull apart the join?
No, not if the recommended installation advice is followed correctly. The adhesive forms a very strong bond that your pet will not be able to dig through.
How long does delivery take?
When purchasing EnviroStik Multi-Purpose Adhesive separately, your order will be sent on a 2-3 working day delivery window. Delivery is FREE of charge.
If purchased with artificial grass or foam underlay, your items will normally be sent together and delivery may take up to 5–7 working days. Delivery fees may apply. Please call us on 01245 931200 for further information.
Multi-Purpose Adhesive Quantity Calculator
EnviroStik Multi-Purpose Adhesive Product Data
EnviroStik Multi-Purpose Adhesive Safety Data
Two-Part Artificial Grass Adhesive: Everything You Need to Know
Artificial Grass Glue: Which is Best – Single or Two-Part Adhesive?
Top 5 Uses for Artificial Grass Adhesive
How to Install Artificial Grass on Concrete – A Step-by-Step Guide